Khamis, 18 Jun 2009

How Do I like School?

I have often ponder, what is it about our school that I actually liked. The building, the environment,the ambient, the education, the activities, hostel life, friends and teachers....What???

I often experience dreams about our school. The 'feelings' in my dreams wasn't very happy. It was always tiring and as if I could not get to where I am going..It is as if SOMETHING is not done, fulfilled, some 'unfinished business', maybe. (Sounds spooky, don't you think?)

I do not have detailed, vivid memories like our friend, Usop, had when he was there. For me it was rather hard to picture events and even some of our friends we had. I probably am suffering from Lacuna Amnesia or maybe just having a mighty small RAM.
Anyway, the little things that I remember about life there was a "hectic-kinda-rushing-through-things" life. Wake up early, rush to the bathrooms, had our pails queue for us, subuh prayers, had our rooms tidy, then off to breakfast, assembly and then classes.
All meals are from the school dining hall. Food was never anything to shout about. But it was always noisy and lively during meal times. We probably need to be chit chatty to forget about the tasteless food.

Afternoons are quite a drag for me. I was never into homework AND studies for that matter.(Pardon me, all teachers out there, I don't mean to be a spoil spot, but frankly, I never enjoyed studying). So now it is obvious, education is definitely not one of it!!

Sometimes I wonder how I got through exams. Maybe I was just lucky. By the way, I did use my eraser as a dice!! When I was really desperate of course. ( to all our kids out there....Never try this stunt at school!!!. Only meant for professionals like me.)

You see, I never really like school since kindergarten. I think it was all fated that I was to go to SMSJ. I didn't even appreciate the significance of such school, let alone aiming to be in one. Kind of just following the flow. Studying in ITM and then at Edith Cowen Uni, was different. It didn't feel like studying at all. More like just the desire to know more about something. I was probably a very late bloomer.

Enough about studies, I think the extra curricular activities was fun. I love sports, be it athletics or games. I love the camping trips, hiking and even the stage shows that we occasionally put up together.

Most of all, I love the comradeship we had at the hostel. I may only have few very close friends, but what I love about all my hostel mates are almost everybody is selfless when it comes to helping others, be it with homework, when one is sick or just short of time..This is probably the BEST thing about being in such school. I never had so many friends when I was at home. Being the only daughter with 4 elder brothers, I never had friends over for play or chit chat. I was never allowed to go out on my own either. So hostel life was like 'heaven' for me, surrounded by friends of the same age. I was never good at making friends,(not the 'popular' type) so having friends 'thrown' at you, the probability of getting some is better.

Well guys, I'm sure everybody has different things they like about the school. I didn't mean to sound so lackadaisical about my studies. Mind you, I do have to slog, its just that, it was quite a torture.

.......So the answer is ....NOT MUCH!!!

20 ulasan:

kembara kelana berkata...

ha
terima kasih pada luahan pendapat kau tu...aku ni lagilah pulak ha...hidup dengan loceng sekolah sejak umur 7 tahun sampai 48 tahun ..ini bermakna dah 41 tahun aku dgn dunia persekolahan...dari budak hyper aktif kepada ketua kelas, pengawas, guru pelatih, guru sekolah menengah hinggalah kepada guru sekolah rendah....gpk dan sekarang guru besar...adalah aku rehat sekejap masa kerja sebagai pegawai di ppd...4 tahun. aku dah sampai dah terkomen dengan sistem, sekolah, pengisian disekolah, apa pelangan nak dll. aku akhirnya hidup dan mati dengan sekolah...tetapi bila aku jadi GB aku lebih banyak freedom mempelbagaikan aktviti agar sekolah aku tidak boring dan menyeronokkan...setakat terdaya dan tidak melanggar dasar...
entahlah ha...sampai bila kita nak jadikan sekolah gelanggang orang yang bermain dengan politik aku pun tak tau...terserahlah..58 aku pencen. habislah cerita aku dalam dunia sekolah ni...dah nak naik lemas aku ha oooiii

Said Ahmad berkata...

Sop,
Kalau kau tak nak lemas kat sekolah tu, jom ikut aku pergi menyelam kat laut yang luas tu.

SELAMAT ULANGTAHUN HARI LAHIR SOP.

Said Ahmad berkata...

Hafizah,

The school is everything to me. From good to bad things, stupid to knowledgable, walking to running, lonely to happy, young to old and last but not least from single to a family.
That is the place I remembered most.

fati berkata...

Buat aku smsj menemukan aku dengan kawan-kawan yang membahagiakan seperti Ha ni serta kawan-kawan yang lain. Sebab tu selalu mimpi pasal smsj dan kawan-kawan kita ni tapi yang pelik kalau mimpi, mesti kita tengah pakai baju sekolah yg skirt tu, heheheh apasal ek....

pakroslan berkata...

Salam Hafizah,
I wonder if there is another word for SCHOOL?.

hafizah berkata...

Usop, maaflah.How unthoughtful am I? Awak lebih terukkan? Awak GB yg proaktif. Keep it up. Bantulah pelajar2 yg malas macam saya. Keep them motivated. Berkat hidup awak.
Said, if there is such thing as a chance to change your past, I'm sure you will pass without hesitation.

Member, you definitely deserve to be in SMSJ. Unlike me. Its not that I'm not thankful, its just that I am not that appreciative of the formal education. There are more to life than school books.
I hope my children will become a well balance person. Book smart as well as street smart, beriman dan juga pintar mencari rezeki yg berkat. I have never really pressure my kids to excel in their exams. Other achievements are as important. Let them savour their youth. Alhamdulillh, so far they turn out ok.Hari2 saya berdoa.

Pati, awak ni kelakarlah. Zaman2 'jahiliah', pakai skirt kita ye!!

Pakroslan, I don't think there is(in English that is). Kalau tak pegi sekolah, belajar kat rumah pun, the term they use is HOME-SCHOOLED.

sha'ri berkata...

I guess you did make a lot of friends, which made you feel like heaven in the school. I also believe that we made a lot of friends and mind you from all batches, seniors and juniors. 'Formal education' is probably not what you needed. Probably you should have gone to sekolah pondok to 'tuntut ilmu' which are much more useful to survive in this world (just suggesting). But, I think going to boarding school helps mould us to be very independent, at least for me, I was able to survive living abroad at a very young age. Literally survive i.e. doing everything by our ownself.. from finding a place to stay, right until doing own own cooking, etc. If I didn't go to a boarding school probably I may faced a lot of problems.... Studying and 'life long learning' is my profession till today. I am in love of 'seek knowledge from cradle to grave'... all branches of knowledge.

g berkata...

dulu zaman sekolah saya confused. ada malay medium, ada english medium. sekarang lagi confused, dengan PPSMI yang tak menguntungkan sesiapa dan ura-ura perlu lulus BI untuk dapat sijil SPM. sistem pembelajaran negara dijadikan gelanggang polemik politik nasionalisme. nak berapa generasi lagi jadi mangsa eksperimentasi kementerian pendidikan negara ... ?

sop, tolong jawab.

ha, i absolutely agree with your 'home-schooled' idea.

kembara kelana berkata...

g aku boleh beri pendapat aku...tetapi peninglah sekarang ni...some other time..

sha'ri berkata...

g, when education is being politicised; when business and commerce is being politically manoeuvred, and when a person becomes the number one (be it PM, VC, CEO, GM, etc) wants to leave a mark; then these things are bound to happen or will definitely happen. "Apabila satu urusan itu diberi kepada yang bukan ahlinya, maka tunggulah saat kehancuran". My 2sen, thousand apologies if this is seen as 'against the flow'. Cheers

Noorsham berkata...

Salam Fizah, your melancholic thoughts is well written and well put.

Whatever you may have felt then, you really did not show it at all. But then, we boys are not that close to the gals to really know how they actually feel about things then..eh?

That is why one aspect of life that i kind of feel lacking then in SMSJ is the close interactions that we should have between boys and girls of our batch to be able to share and overcome such feelings...like brothers and sisters....

At the end of the day, i guess u managed to make the best out of it and learned from that experience and still make it good in life...well done Fizah!

fati berkata...

g,
Usop tengah energy drain, sbb tu dia tak larat nak beri penerangan kat g......heheheheeh

kembara kelana berkata...

hahahahahaha g, g...
kau follow perkembangan aku yer...

aku ucapkan ribuan terima kasih kepada ha, saari dan norsayam mewakili 5e1, hantar cerita dan kongsi pendapat...aku sangat gembira membawa pelbagai entri dari pelbagai penulis...

hafizah berkata...

Thanks guys. I'm happy you spoke your mind about this matter. I was just being frank. I envy those people who simply love studying(My eldest brother is one of them.)I really do.It'll definitely make a student's life easier and enjoyable.

As for me, I'm just expressing how torturous it was for even though I eventually got through it in one piece.

Walaupun begitu, saya sebenarnye gemar membaca. Sangat gemar. Tetapi bahan bacaan saya adalah dari perkara2 yg saya minat. Kalau pegi MPH tu berjam2 pun tahan. Baca buku free. Kadang2 beli kat Pay less books. Selalu juga on the look out for warehouse sale MPH ke Popular ke. Buku,pada saya kalau beli memang tak rugi.Saya minat apa2 pasal kesihatan,tapi saya tak suka belajar Biology. Pelik tak? Saya minat nak tahu "How things begin or originate" Tapi saya mengantuk kalau Cikgu Hamid ajar sejarah.Apalah saya ni,kan??Wierd or just nuts.
G, lama tak baca cerita awak. Awak pun dah tersenarai dalam My favourite author. Apalagi, saya pasti awak ada banyak idea.
Norsham, betul awak cakap tu. Saya pasti we could have been great friends.

kembara kelana berkata...

ha
kau tergolong dalam kalangan orang yang kreatif...sebab tu kau suka pada kehidupan yang tidak terkongkong dan bebas bekarya, pendidikan sepatutnya memberikan ruang kepada kumpulan ini...aku pun termasuk dalam kumpulan murid yang tidak suka terkongkong dgn program hitam putih...aku suka buat apa yang aku minat...kita pada ada sekolah yang lebih fleksibel..

norlilasamad berkata...

Salam Ha,
I guess being in the same class in TMS from Yr 1 to Yr 6 together with Azie (Yahya's wife)and then for 5 more years in SMSJ, should have made us closer. To think of it, in Std 6A there were about 54 pupils, all girls but, in 1E1 there were only 4 girls out of 24 pupils!We were very united and close. How the boys sometimes bullied us . Remember the Bumi Hijau Programme. We were supposed to grow maize plants and groundnuts. Some boys just threw the seedlings on the beds. In the end, our class did produce the most maize and groundnut plants, but the fruits were so small! Almost all the groundnuts were nutless???!!! But to think of it now, I really missed those good, old days...

kembara kelana berkata...

program bumi hijau tulah memberikan kesempatan aku ke asrama putri...sebab kebun aku dekat blok asrama putri...aku tanam tembikai...lepas tu dapat hasil, jas dan zu bawak ke kelas...kami makan ramai ramai..kenangan indah tu lela

hafizah berkata...

Ha;ah Lila, now that you mentioned it. Awak boleh ingat lagi ada berapa org dalam kelas kita. Memory awak memang superb.
Masa kat sekolah rendah dulu pun saya playful juga. Cikgu ajar kat depan, saya makan kuih cekodok mak Rabiatul bekalkan. Sedap tu!!!Kadang2 main batu seremban.Tricky tau. Tak boleh lambong tinggi2, nanti cikgu nampak.
Macam mana boleh pass Penilaian? Agaknye masa tengah makan ke, main seremban ke masuk juga otak apa cikgu bebel kat depan. Saya tak perasan pun ada periksa Penilaian. Tau2 ada kena buat exam kat kelas yang dinding boleh lipat tu. Meja kena jarak2. Masa rehat tu pun sempat main apatu,yg bulu ayam dipaku pada a piece of rubber, Capteh ke?
Tiba2 Azmah Kadir ajak saya pegi sekolah ambik result.Result ape???Blurrnye!!!

fati berkata...

Ha...dulu pati terror main capteh tu tau...sekali bawak boleh 100 lebih!

hafizah berkata...

Ala Pati!! Macam tu tak boleh lawanlah saya. Tak ingatlah berapa score, tapi tak sampai 100 kot.
Kalau sekarang ada lagi capteh tu, boleh main lagi tak. Gaknye baru sepak 10, kena break sapu minyak angin. Hehehe..Buruknye rupa!